Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sleepless


Julia's class graduated from their small charter school yesterday.
Fewer than fifty students, and nine of them have been together since kindergarten.


For the first time since 1997, when Caleb was chosen in the lottery to attend this school, my husband and I don't have any children at PACT.
It's such a strange feeling.
The waiting list is around a thousand students, so there is no guarantee that Anna Kate will get back in.
If she's not there, then Malachi won't be on the sibling preference list, and he probably won't get in for kindergarten.
That's why choosing to home school Anna Kate was so momentous.
This has been a very good school for our children.

And she's off! (for a business degree from Northwestern University of St. Paul)

I'm thankful that the Lord knows our future.
I have too many kids, in too many phases of life, to worry about details.
We drove home through the rain last night, with a tired baby in tow.
Malachi went in our bed, as usual.
Through the night, Julia texted me, just as I asked her to.

The night was a blur of texts and a baby fussing next to me.
I feel like the only member of a tiny club, consisting of nursing mothers
with high-school (and college!) graduates.

10:36 p.m. "Bowling now."

1:09 a.m. "Leaving bowling...we're heading to a party at someone's house now....then the Lundstroms."

2:53 a.m. "Leaving for the Lundstroms now...."

3:05 a.m. "At Grace's."

So at last I could sleep....at least until 6:00 a.m. or so, and then it was up for coffee and solitude before Malachi woke up.

What a lovely, memorable night.

And congratulations, Julia Jordan-Rose.

You're going to have a beautiful life.

"Thou wilt show me the path of life;
in Thy Presence is fullness of joy."
(Psalm 16:11)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment