Thursday, June 6, 2013

Naomi's Almond Bars

  

My wonderful niece Naomi made these for the grad party. People raved about them. The aqua frosting was specially mixed to match Julia's party (we were going for mostly red and aqua). 

Almond Bars
(Recipe has already been modified with reduced sugar amounts, so I wouldn't recommend reducing sugar further)

Crust:
1 cup butter, softened
2 c. flour
1/4 powdered sugar

Cut the butter into the flour and powdered sugar until fine and pebbly (I like a pastry blender for this).
Press into 9x13 pan, bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract

Beat ingredients together until very smooth. 
Pour over crust.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (also at 350)

Frosting:
Allow bars to cool.

Beat together:
1 c. powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp. milk (or a little less, depending on how much food coloring you use)
1 tsp. almond extract

Spread frosting on cooled bars. 

I was going to make these this week using almond meal for one cup of the flour in the crust. But we are still lounging around, recovering from the party! It feels great to let the house be messy, and go an entire week without weeding.
Here's what we did this week, besides cleaning up and returning all the stuff we borrowed:
Malachi got proficient at crawling. This means we are on high alert at all times until the gate gets installed (which will be tonight, I hope).
Anna Kate learned the joy of reading short stories. She started with Chronicles of Avonlea, then she asked me about scary short stories. I have quite a list of those, but she can't read them all just yet. I let her read A Rose for Emily, The Most Dangerous Game, The Open Window, Music on the Muscatatuck (my favorite, found here) *, and next I'll look for The Ransom of Red Chief.  Does anyone out there have other suggestions? I won't let her read Poe!
Julia wrote thank-you notes. All done! Thanks to all for your generous gifts, she was so happy.
We are getting ready for Malachi's first birthday tomorrow. I made cupcakes. There were ten cupcakes, and they were so delicious that the girls and I ate nine of them, saving one for Malachi for tomorrow. Then I made a cake. Wow.


*This one isn't scary, maybe one reason why I like it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment