Monday, July 8, 2013

Summertime

 Our vintage 48-star flag
The blue field is on the left (as it should be)
when viewed from outside the house.

Having a toddler has thrown me for a loop.
We have baby-proofed much of the house, but usually when I put Malachi on the floor,
he immediately crawls to me as fast as he can and starts to climb up my leg.
So instead of spending my summer gardening and reading and soaking up summer's goodness,
I'm either holding my baby, or asking one of the girls to watch him, 
or tiptoeing, shushing all the others, during his naptime.
I can't help but remember when Isaac was this age, and I was nine months pregnant with Caleb, 
and life was much more difficult.
We didn't have air conditioning, for starters.
I didn't have my daughters for company.
Nate didn't have a cell phone, so he couldn't let me know when he'd be home late.
So I'm not complaining.
Life is good.
And summer is more than good.


We got out berry-picking just one time.
Julia works at the berry farm, so she can bring berries home when I need them.


Anna Kate's Fourth of July cupcakes.


The nasturtiums have bloomed!
They love this muggy heat.


On the thick steamy days, such as yesterday and today,
I go out to water my flowers in the late afternoon.
Some of them are nodding their heads toward the ground,
Exhausted and dry.
They get their watering,
and then I water my hot, dirty feet.
I don't tire of this refreshment.
I could stand there forever,
washing my feet with the cool hose water.
But there's a little guy in the house,
and two big sisters who probably want me to come in and take care of him.

 Our Fourth of July outside dinner.

 All five kids were home!
Mama was happy.

Nate and the boys played disk golf on the Fourth.
Lots of practice time around here lately.

When my day is almost done, and it's time for Malachi to go to bed, 
I get him snuggled in,
and I stay near him and grab a book.
It's a beautiful time, if he goes to sleep well.
I get to read, usually for the first time all day.
Last night I started reading Ben Carson's book, Gifted Hands.
I'm using a Kleenex as a bookmark.
That's how much I'm crying while reading this story.

What we read is a refreshment too,
something like the washing of feet.

 "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy." James 3:17




No comments:

Post a Comment