Saturday, June 14, 2014

One Morning in June


What happens when a garden is filled with free plants?
Beautiful chaos happens.
This long rock garden represents almost no money.  Virtually all the plants were given by a friend who inherited overwhelming gardens and decided to replace some of them with lawn.
But I have spooled out precious hours here, weeding and yanking and moving things.

These days, I don't wander through my gardens sipping coffee and meditating.
No.
I chase a toddler.
But a few times a week, I go out to work a bit, and it is so peaceful.

For the last few weeks, I've been singing the same hymn while I work.
It's my current favorite, and it sums up everything that I hold to be true.
Isn't it amazing, that a song written in 1834 can bring me so much peace?
That's how it is with beauty and truth.
They hold up well.        




My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.


When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.


His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.    

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
Words by Edward Mote
Composer: John Stainer
Tune: The Magdalen





No comments:

Post a Comment