Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Strawberry Trifle and More



On my mind this week:

Strawberry Trifle (recipe at end of post)

This post on the meaning of love

The overwhelming weeds in my garden beds

The possibility that we might move. We go back and forth, back and forth. Right now we're leaning forth.

These words from the introduction to Ephesians: "The greatest adventure in life is discovering the purpose for our lives. 'Why am I here?' The answer may astound you. We have been created to walk in harmony with our God and with fellow believers." This is so simple. Why is it so hard?


Continued overwhelming gratitude for this little guy. Here he is on the Fourth of July, next to Grampa Murphy's (broken) tractor. We miss Grampa.

The upcoming wedding of Caleb and Krista. It's a whole new covenant, a new couple beginning their story together. It's a letting go, and a gathering in. It's a mystery that I don't think I'll ever figure out, but it's blessed by God, and  for that I give thanks. 

All the versions of it on Youtube sounds sort of dorky, but oh you guys, the words, "I need no other argument, I need no other plea, it is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me," have been running through my head since a friend reminded me of that song. It's so perfect. Can somebody please make a cheerful version of it? The best version I found was a woman from Ghana, she sounded good, but the video was blurry. 


Somebody loves his big brother. This was taken after Isaac finally arrived, after Malachi had fallen off the sofa, after the tears had dried. Joy. It's on its way, and it's often unbidden, in the quiet moments when we are at peace with Jesus and with each other.

And now here's that recipe:

Strawberry Trifle
(with thanks to my Aunt Bea for the original recipe)

1 angel food cake, made from a box mix, cooled and torn into 1-inch chunks
Many strawberries, at least 4 cups, but 6 cups is better, hulled and sliced into quarters

Cream filling:
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream (I use half sour cream, half plain yogurt)
3 cups whipped cream (about 1-1/2 cups whips up to the right amount. I add a bit of vanilla and a spoonful of powdered sugar, but you don't have to).

Pour milk into a large bowl, whisk in pudding mix till smooth and thick. Add sour cream and yogurt, stir to blend. Gently fold in the whipped cream.

To assemble the trifle:

1/2 the cake pieces
1/2 the cream filling
2 cups berries

Repeat, but put tons of berries on top if you have enough. This is the healthiest part of the recipe and you don't want to be stingy about it.

Chill for a few hours and then enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment