Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Living Room at Christmas

The mantel, with stockings hung from antlers.  I told the kids I was making new stockings and they formed a rebellion.  So these are probably going away tomorrow.

Here are the old stockings.  A little too much color for me, and they are HUGE.  That's a lot of stocking to fill.  Skinny stockings are the way to go.

  I would have been happy to retire the Noel stocking holders this year in favor of just antlers.
The tags were punched out of an antique poetry book, and stenciled with initials.
  The "G" at the end is for Gracie Ireland the adorable mutt, an animal with a name lovelier than she deserves.
I made these out of old linen clothing: an outfit I had somehow held on to for 10 years, and an ecru skirt from the thrift store. The trim is cut from antique linens.
Here is our tree.  We went into the forest (friends' now-defunct tree farm, where we feel like Narnians).  My husband thought he was topping a Balsam, but this is either a Frasier or a Canaan, which is a volunteer cross between the two.  I like my trees spacey, open, and not too fat at the base.
The tree is decorated with vintage ornaments and old family photos.

Last year I found wonderful three-inch-wide brown paper to use as flat "ribbon."  I can't find it now, but I like the paper flowers.  White butcher paper is my favorite wrapping ever.  It's cheap and beautiful.

 Grandpa John on the left, my Dad on the right.

 Merry Christmas!  Light a candle and remember to breathe.

3 comments:

  1. So happy to find you.
    My blogger feed wasn't
    showing any new posts,
    but when I double-checked,
    found that you had moved.
    Love all your Christmas decor.
    My daughter is having a
    Christmas party tomorrow
    and we are making paper
    flowers and felt ones, too,
    for trimming packages, barretts,
    etc. Fun stuff, but you are
    right about remembering to
    breathe!

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see your Holiday decor online now that I've seen it in person. Love the mantle with the antlers and stockings. They are stunning in person. Thanks for the fun visit last Friday! Such fun...

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete