Friday, June 28, 2013

How to Cut up a Watermelon


This method seems so simple, but I see way too many pictures in design magazines (and food magazines) of watermelon in great, unwieldy chunks. What are we supposed to do, grab a fork and a knife?

During the heat of summer, we go through two or three melons a week,
so cutting off all the rind and making small cubes is too much work for me.

This is the only way we ever cut up watermelon.

It makes beautiful little triangles, easy to hold.

And little rinds, easy to chuck into the compost bin.

Just in time for the Fourth of July!







Movie by Anna Kate Murphy.


3 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha. I cut mine off the rind into chunks, except... I mostly eat it all. Once (my) Laura said she came home and walked into the kitchen to find the cutting board across the sink, littered with empty rinds. A small portion of uncut melon sat on the counter, and an empty bowl. She studied the sight for awhile thinking, "What's wrong with this picture?" I had eaten until my tummy was distended, and then I finally had to walk away. Not a single chunk made it into the bowl. I have NO self control when it comes to watermelon. Confession: these days, I don't usually even bother getting a bowl out. If anybody wants watermelon, they have to come fight me for it while I stand at the sink wielding the watermelon knife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo funny Ruthie. I may have come close to eating a whole watermelon when I was pg. I have always wanted a little frig in my room, for the express purpose of keeping my watermelon under lock and key.

    ReplyDelete