Friday, September 20, 2013

Junk Bonanza 2013, Right Around the Corner


You all know I don't encourage the spending of money. The needless spending of money. But Junk Bonanza is coming up, next Thursday through Saturday (September 26-28). That's the big furniture-antique-jewelry-cool junk fair, held at Canterbury Park in Shakopee, Minnesota. It is a bit overwhelming, so here is my guide.

First, bring a tape measure and an idea of what you're looking for. If you don't have a plan, you'll wander around the booths, feeling more and more confused. And remember, you don't have to buy anything at all. If you don't need a thing for your house or for gifts, though, maybe you shouldn't go. Just sayin'.

We've been vendors at a similar show, and now I know it's physically demanding. Setting up, selling for three days, and tearing down (often bulky items) is exhausting. These people work hard for their money, and no one is getting rich. Many of them are artists, and they've worked all year to fill their booths. It's always nice for them to hear how much you love their designs, or how good their space looks.

Also remember to ask before you take pictures, especially if you plan to blog about the show. We keep seeing pictures of our piano bar on Pinterest, but no one knows it's ours or how to find it.


Here are some of my favorite things (the kind of things you're likely to find at JB 2013):


A big stoneware bowl. Since this one is identical to the Little House bowl that Ma uses on the tv show, my daughter has fallen in love with it. Filled with anything and placed on a table, it's the perfect centerpiece.


Okay, while we're at it, any bowls at all. I love bowls. They hold things!


A milk crate. We keep this in the entryway and it's perfect for flip-flops and flats.


A little chair from The Vintage Pixie.
(Baby not included).
On this chair, which Mary gave to me when we were at her farm for a photo shoot right before Malachi's birth, she decoupaged the verse from Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."
Oh thank you Mary. Just what I needed to hear.


Vintage clothing, similar to my coat in this photo, can be found at Lori's booth La Dee Da.
Lori was our neighbor when we had our piano bar space, and she was a great encouragement.


Vintage boots like the ones I'm wearing here can also be found at La Dee Da.


The jewelry at JB is amazing. I am a fan of my friend Gretchen's jewelry at Mimi-Toria's Designs.
Here I'm wearing two of her pieces (the clock face and the little Eiffel Tower),
and a magnet necklace from Hit the Road Jack.


Picnic baskets are wonderful for holding toys. And for taking on picnics! These are usually stacked in our basement corner. They would also be good storage in a kitchen if you had space above your cabinets.

So here are my faves:

Mimi-Toria's Designs (jewelry): Booth #208
La Dee Da (vintage clothes and boots): Booth #253 and #261
The Vintage Pixie (furniture and accessories)
Hit the Road Jack (old junk and farm treasures, and magnet necklaces)
Histories (rustic furniture, lighting and accessories)

I am hoping to work in Gretchen's booth on Saturday afternoon, although Anna Kate has offered to pay me to stay home (that's how busy Malachi is!). So stop in and say hi, and of course, enjoy the show!

From Proverbs 31
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night."


No comments:

Post a Comment