Thursday, May 8, 2014

Maple Roast Chicken with Herbs


Today is going to be busy and fun and rainy. We have a visit from my parents, a trip to Julia's pop-up shop so she can sell her leather goods, and a thunderstorm moving in. I hope the storm doesn't keep everybody home from the shop. 
If I make dinner at all, it will be something like this. My easiest meal. I got the recipe from my sister and it stands up to infinite variations.You can use a whole cut-up chicken, or any combination of dark and white chicken pieces. You can also use any of your favorite herbs.  

 Maple Roast Chicken with Herbs

8 chicken thighs, skin removed
1 red onion, cut into wedges
sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
potatoes, cut into quarters   

Pat chicken dry, if needed, and place at one end of a large baking dish.
Drizzle chicken with: olive oil (I use about 2 Tb.) and
                                maple syrup (about 3 Tb.) 
Scatter the onions over and around the chicken.  
Sprinkle chicken with: thyme (about 1 tsp.). My sister uses fresh thyme, I use dried.
                                  salt and pepper to taste
                                  and lately I've been adding marjoram too.

At the other end of your baking dish, or in a separate dish if you run out of room, place the vegetables.
Drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and with dried dill if you like.

Bake for about 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees, basting the chicken and stirring the vegetables every half hour or so. I often roast the food for about an hour at 400 degrees, then reduce the oven temp. to 350 until everything is done. Oven temps will vary. Mine must run cool, because this dinner needed a full 2 hours in the oven (even with the first hour at 400). I did have the pan pretty crowded.


This picture was taken after 1 1/2 hours of roasting. I was running out of natural light and had to take it, but later the food got more brown and crispy and delicious-looking.

I love this meal because it is so easy. It makes the house smell wonderful. And after it's done, you have just one pan to wash, and hopefully you have a few leftovers for the next day. I usually chop everything and make a hash.





No comments:

Post a Comment