Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cold Spring, Hot Soup


Five inches of snow today, and more expected tomorrow.
I'm not happy about it, but I'm not beside myself either.
As long as I can stay inside and eat yummy food,
with my daughters and my baby to keep me company,
it's not so bad.


When I was with my friend Lisa in Georgia,
she rattled off a tomato soup recipe from memory.
It sounded good then,
but it sounds even better now,
with snow falling thick on the budding trees outside my window.


Someday I'll blog about my kitchen essentials.
For now, here are two of the best:
a very sharp chef's knife,
and a flexible cutting board (this one is from Ikea).
(I made an open-face grilled cheese sandwich, with avocado and tomato, to go with the soup).


Spicy Tomato Soup

1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 cans fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz. each)
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2 T. basil or cilantro, chopped

Optional: 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Heat oil, stir in onion, cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes, or till soft.
(I then stirred in 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar, since that is good in so many soups)

Stir in garlic, cook for about 2 minutes, stirring so garlic doesn't burn

Add tomatoes and broth, and sugar and pepper flakes if you decide to use them.

Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes

Allow to cool for about 15 minutes

Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to desired consistency.

If you want the soup very hot, return soup to a simmer.

To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with basil or cilantro.

(Thanks Lisa. This is a keeper).



No comments:

Post a Comment